Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Double Helix?

So today I have been contemplating the double helix.  Yes, the DNA double helix.  The colorful representation of four proteins that purportedly determine who we are or who we will be.   Now, I am not a biologist.  As a matter of fact it has been 34 years since I cracked a biology text.  So, why think about this now?   I have always been curious if my DNA looked like this.  Not being a biologist it seems to me appropriate that the double helix is represented in a way that I might comprehend in a text before the genetics exam that inevitably comes in the biology class.   Thus my point:  Those who understand biology have a daunting task when it comes to explaining the inner workings of a living organism to lay people such as myself.  Particularly lay people who studied art and later decided to become a school principal.   When engaged in conversation about biology I can always revert back to that graceful double helix and its colorful manifestation.  That way I do not appear completely ignorant, as I am, when it comes to biology.  
Many of our opinions are formed based on limited information.  To change a perspective or opinion requires that we take a risk or are forced to do so.  In the Genesis creation story, the sky is referred to as a dome, periods of time are called days and humans begin to contemplate that there is no way they are alone.   Humans then begin to be fearful, construct city-states, bully weaker neighbors, and eventually move into gated suburbs with pristine swimming pools.  There are only a few true explorers among us.   Most of us stay behind to see if it is ok to follow. If the explorer does not return, we assume he has fallen over the edge.  

Back to the double helix…It is always comforting to know that there is an explanation, even if it doesn’t tell the whole story.   It gives me something to believe while allowing me to construct a worldview that is incomplete.  We all do this.  Each of us understands one small piece of our universe and constructs an explanation based on the incomplete nature of that understanding.   Therefore, there are 7 billion universes on earth.  We use terms such as tea party, progressive, liberal, conservative et. al. as a means to incompletely formulate an understanding of oppositional and collective thought.  The problem is that each description is incomplete and thus creates misunderstanding, distrust and conflict.   When Pearl Harbor or 9/11 occurred we had one threat and, for a brief moment, a singular understanding of what it would take to deal with that threat.  Once the external threat was over, the threat then became internal due to the individual incomplete formulation of what such an event meant.  We understand one thing while our neighbor understands something else.  Thus we are right and they must be wrong.   I know that DNA exists within me, or believe that it does because I was told so 30+ years ago.   If some other discovery says this is not so, I must be open minded enough to accept the new theory or simply believe that my textbook is always right.  I am a school principal after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment