Saturday, July 25, 2015

Manning to Voltaire on a Back Shoulder Fade


            In sports, I am what many refer to as the ultimate homer.  A Native of Tennessee, I support everything Volunteer.  Therefore, like many University of Tennessee fans, any discussion about Peyton Manning raises my awareness.  I constantly tire of comparisons between he and Tom  Brady, and I am at the ready whenever they put Brady as the best because he has won more titles.  Despite my obvious bias, I objectively reject discussions about “the best.”  In football, I marvel at the productivity of a plethora of quarterbacks now playing the game.  The evolution of the position, along with the preparation of young players at quarterback, has served as an example of the athletic possibilities of such gifted individuals. 
            Over the past few years I have reflected a great deal on Voltaire’s proposition to keep perfection from becoming “the enemy of the good.”  I recently watched a documentary where a historian described the ancient view of the world as a dome.  Thousands of years later we are now seeing the possibility that there may be more than one “Universe.”  In other words, there are no limits.  I recently heard one Eduardo Sa’enz De Cabezo’n at the 2015 IB World Conference describe a student’s effort to prove the paper fold theory wrong (one can only fold any piece of paper 7 times).  The student cited was successful by taking a mile long sheet of paper towel and folding it 12 times.   Mr. Cabezo’n went on to describe the exponential possibilities of this exercise, through math, stating that a very thin sheet of paper equal to the distance from the Earth to the Sun theoretically could be folded 54 times based on the student’s results.  As I understand it, and for the sake of disclosure I am no professional mathematician, the definitive nature of mathematics can get us to a specific answer or into serious trouble, depending on your perspective. 
            Out of ignorance, I began to think of Pi.  There is no end to Pi.  At least that is what I have been told.   Does this then mean there are no limits?  I listen to physicists speak in terms of the finite age of the Earth or Universe.   I listen to sports journalists, that title can be a stretch, speak in terms of the best.  Are such speculative discussions practical, or necessary.  The best, the beginning, or the end demonstrates a human desire to define perfection in such a way that limits possibility.  It is clear then that acknowledging perfection provides a cognitive understanding of alpha and omega.  Voltaire speculated that this is not a good thing.

            There is no such thing as the best quarterback, pitcher, golfer, artist, musician, ad nauseum.  The universe, which in title implies an end, is unlimited.  If Einstein is correct that everything is energy, individual existence is a continuum.   Oh yeah, watch Peyton Manning throw a back shoulder fade to the post and you will immediately know that he is the best quarterback EVER!!!  Even Voltaire would have made the catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment