Sunday, May 31, 2015

Let's Talk

I think I would prefer conversation…Either that or this maddening digital age has taken any semblance of disciplined discernment out of my being.  I have ideas, I actually like to explore them with others and refine my misconceptions.   I have discovered that I enjoy this aspect of Facebook, but few are willing, have the time or are suffering from this malady I now describe.  
            Our new challenge as human beings is to regain some semblance of discipline with the hyper access of social media.   When our communication options began to explode around 2000.  I discovered that I couldn’t keep up with voice mail and email.  I then declared to anyone with whom I worked that email is the best way to get in touch with me.   I continue to stick with this mantra and find that most compliment my communication.   Since that time we have added Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram etc., and I still tell people to put it in an email.  I was recently told by my boss to text because that is the best way to get her response.  I try.
            At some point we are going to have to come to a collective understanding about the impact all of these communication protocol have on our productivity.  Many dismiss this as “Boomer Ranting,” but we need to understand that boomers still have a profound collective impact on our government, culture and society.  This has to be acknowledged and served.
            I have ideas.  I want to contribute for the rest of my life.   I need to be heard.  However, I can’t seem to keep up with the almost daily change in interaction protocol.   I’m not sure “Xers”, Millenials or  any other generational iteration does any better.   My peers tend to post pictures of young people sucked into their phones astounded by the abhorrent behavior, while the young simply laugh at our scorn.

            There is evidence that some have caught on.  Some corporations have set policy about appropriate time on emails.  Leadership consultants have begun to tell us that it is ok to limit access.  I just want to sit down with people and share ideas.  Over a beer of course…

No comments:

Post a Comment